Thursday, January 31, 2008

Seed Acquistion Distress

There is so much on TV right now about Seasonal Affective Disorder (a.k.a. SAD). It's a disorder based primarily on the way our mood is affected by lack of natural sunlight. I can easily admit that lack of sunlight has deeply affected me.

Matter of fact, it has caused a whole different version of S.A.D. to begin to form. It's a new disorder that may only affect me and other gardeners. It is: Seed Acquisition Distress. I am truly sick with this. I'm surprised that the internet hasn't melted down with all of the seed sites I've been visiting. And still when I finally give up and walk away (because something/someone in my home requires me to make them food) I am so distracted by what seeds I should purchase that I can't concentrate (resulting in slightly burned hamburgers). My young daughter is a gardener in training. That's why it was so disheartening to me when I heard her angelic voice say, "Daddy, is it normal to carry around gardening gloves in the middle of winter?" To which my husband answered, "Only for your mother, honey." As I entered the room I caught hold of my little girl and said, "A good gardener always knows where her gloves are." She answered, "I know where my snow gloves are, do you?" Darn!

1 comment:

CanadianGardenJoy said...

Too FUNNY !
I have more seed packets than ever this year .. a friend and I were moaning about "Moon Flower" vines .. yes .. a type of Morning Glory but with a huge WOW ! factor involved .. I bought extra to make sure if she couldn't find any I had more than enough .. Home Depot had them .. Mr. Fothergill's .. great seeds !
The gloves .. are you just like me ?? I bought a six pack of wonderful ones from Costco today .. found them last year and they are the best I have ever used .. loads of protection but high sensitivity (oops .. could sound bad if some one didn't understand a gardener's point of view ? LOL)
Ok .. I have to read more here .. ssshhhhssss !
Joy : )