Thursday, February 14, 2008

Valentine's & Veggies?

Happy Valentines Day!
My hubby and I have never been huge Valentine's day people. A card here or a box of candy there. We're much more apt to buy flowers with roots rather than flowers for vases. And I'm great with that! After all, he is just feeding my addiction.
My heart (while always filled with love for my family) has been in the garden planning, plotting, preparing, cursing the snow! Hubby knows how I long to start a veggie garden. So last night we sat together and he helped me bring my graph paper into the computer age. We planned, plotted and prepared. He even cursed the snow with me! Awww! We searched the seed catalogs. And we made some decisions. Yeah! We want to plant: corn, beans, cucumbers, peppers, carrots, potatoes, onions, pumpkins, and some herbs. As you'll notice I haven't put in the variety names...there's a simple reason for that. I CAN'T DECIDE! I don't know what I'm doing. I have no clue how much space I need for all this. I've never veggie gardened in a raised bed. I've learned about square foot gardening, and intensive gardening, and whatever happened to hoe a row? Obviously, I'm overwhelmed. I've grabbed my garden buddy: Time Life's Gardener's Guide: Summer Vegetables. This book is one in a series printed in 1988 and I'm not sure that it's even in print anymore! It doesn't have all the modern gardening trends but it's my most valuable source for starting a veggie garden. Which seeds can start inside/which can't!
So on this Valentine's Day we are celebrating with Veggies! By Day's end we are placing our Veggie order. If you have a fave variety please let me know! I'd really appreciate any and all help. Thanks! Oh and Happy Valentine's Day!

1 comment:

Becca said...

Tomatoes: Rutgers. They are wonderful--beautiful fruit and plants; silver fir tomato (russian variety)--beautiful, silvery leaves

herbs: pixie purple basil; marjoram, thai basil

Love that little computer layout.