Thursday, February 7, 2008

Accidental Forcing

I spent most of yesterday (another cold and icy day) wishing that I could begin my winter sowing like Robin has. Unfortunately, my last frost date is May 22nd. It's so long to wait.

I have bulbs stored in my basement (as most gardeners do) but only because I wasn't able to get them in the ground last fall before it froze. I keep them stored neatly on a shelf about 4 foot off the floor. So late last night as I journeyed down into the basement to retrieve frozen pork chops for Thursday's dinner I decided to give my bulbs a peek. I was shocked to find that many of the bulbs had begun to sprout! Why!?! I grabbed up my little babies and hurried upstairs. Yes, I forgot the pork chops. (I hear you giggling!) I grabbed a new pot that I had gotten on clearance and began rescuing my premies.

As I lovingly planted the newborns again my mind was screaming, "Why!?!" I've successfully stored bulbs before. Why did they sprout so early this time? After considering the question all night: I blame my husband! He has fluorescent shop lights placed all over the basement and I've only just realized how many hours he has spent in the basement lately as he works on one of his winter projects. I do believe that I accidently forced the bulbs by leaving the basement lights on!

What a happy accident!

3 comments:

Tina said...

I just found your blog today - very nice!
And you can start wintersowing right now.
:)
That's really kind of the point: to put the seeds out in the snow and cold. Yup, those seeds get to be frozen for a few months. And it's ridiculous how well it works!
www.wintersown.org
or
http://forums2.gardenweb.com/forums/wtrsow/
lol, can you tell I'm a bit obsessed with this method? What's better than playing in dirt in the middle of a blizzard?

Unknown said...

That's right...start sowing today (I plan to, after I finish my article and reading blogs...) I'm with you--May seems like a long way off, but remember how it was just Halloween? Thanksgiving (yours or mine?) Christmas? It's really not that far off!

CountryGirl said...

I love this post! I can see you running upstairs with the little guys carefully cuddled in your hands. Maybe we should plan a little winter forcing to get us through these winters! I bought some bulbs to do just that and I forgot them until I read your post! Guess I know what I'll be doing this afternoon...